Wolf Gifts
Spend $25 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code SummerWolves to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Spotting wolves for would-be watchers

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Places to see Wolves >> Spotting wolves for would-be watchers
Spotting wolves for would-be watchers
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — At first light, Big Blaze, a black wolf with a white chest, trotted across a distant slope, following the scent trail of the Blacktail pack.

Karen Webb and her husband, Alan, came from England to see Yellowstone’s wolves. Wolves were their only reason for visiting America, Karen Webb said.

“I never understood why Americans use the word ‘awesome.’ It seemed like the strangest of words, until the first time I stood here in the silence on a cold icy morning,” she said.

A pack’s composition often dictates whether it will accept a new member. A pack with three or more older adult males is unlikely to tolerate another male joining the pack.

“Big Blaze is the great exception,” Varley said.

The black wolf was born into the Druid pack, became one of the founding members of the Blacktail pack, then led the Agate Creek pack. Deposed as the Agate pack’s leader and nearly killed, Big Blaze managed to rejoin the Blacktail pack.

The alpha male, or pack leader, doesn’t necessarily lead a hunt, Varley said. The big, burly alpha male’s body type is great for fending off other wolves, but makes it tough to sprint after prey.

find out more here

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

You can visit Nathan Varley and Linda Thurston's website, Yellowstone Wolf Tracker here.  Someday, I'd love to have Nathan and Linda show me the Yellowstone Wolves!Big Smile

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Pack Long Sleeve T Shirt -XXL
Wolf Pack Long Sleeve T Shirt -XXL
View details for this All Mine Wolf T Shirt - S
All Mine Wolf T Shirt - S
View details for this Wolf Bottle Opener Keychain
Wolf Bottle Opener Keychain
View details for this Wolf Bubble Blaster
Wolf Bubble Blaster
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted