Wolf Gifts
Spend $25 or more in our gift shop to receive 15% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code SpringWolves to take advantage of this offer.  Every order will receive a free Wolf Magnet.  Howls!

Breaking News: Montana won't wait to kill wolves

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Breaking News: Montana won't wait to kill wolves
Breaking News: Montana won't wait to kill wolves
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

Defying federal authority over gray wolves, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer on Wednesday encouraged ranchers to kill wolves that prey on their livestock — even in areas where that is not currently allowed — and said the state will start shooting packs that hurt elk herds.

continue here

First, for Montana’s northwest endangered wolves (north of Interstate 90), any livestock producers who kill or harass a wolf attacking their livestock will not be prosecuted by Montana game wardens. Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks (FWP) wardens will be directed to exercise their prosecutorial discretion by not investigating or citing anyone protecting their livestock.

Further, I am directing FWP to respond to any livestock depredation by removing whole packs that kill livestock, wherever this may occur.

Still further, to protect the elk herds in Montana’s Bitterroot Valley that have been most adversely affected by wolf predation, I am directing FWP, to the extent allowed by the Endangered Species Act, to cull these wolves by whole-pack removal to enable elk herds to recover.

full text of the NEWS RELEASE from mt.gov here

Wonder what the trade off is for this move upon the endangered wolf.MadMadMad  Perhaps that elk study isn't coming up with the numbers they wanted. 

edit: update...

"there's been no immediate change in how the state deals with problem wolves, and Schweitzer's office on Friday backed away from some of his most adamant declarations of defiance against federal wolf protections.

Schweitzer's show of defiance was welcomed by someIdea$$$Idea in Montana, where ranchers and hunters have grown increasingly frustrated with federal restrictions against public wolf hunts.

But they were rejected by the Interior Department as taking the wrong approach and generated alarm among wildlife advocates." 

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

I find myself humming the tune from Deliverance.Puke

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Harmony Wolf Beach Towel
Harmony Wolf Beach Towel
View details for this Arctic Gray Wolf Figurine
Arctic Gray Wolf Figurine
View details for this River Wolf Cedar Box
River Wolf Cedar Box
View details for this Arapaho Moon Wolf License Plate
Arapaho Moon Wolf License Plate