Wolf Gifts
Use discount code ScaryHowls at checkout to save 10% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Happy Halloween!

Geordi keeps getting sick

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Geordi keeps getting sick
1 2 > >>
Geordi keeps getting sick
Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

I don't really know what's going on with Geordi.  Every so often, maybe once every two months, he has a sick spell where he will throw up and have diarrhea in his crate over night or while we're at work.  We'll come downstairs to let them out for the day and the poor 'little' guy will be covered in all the gross stuff and there's a good amount of liquids in the bottom of his crate.  Then for the next day or so he's just 'off.'  He doesn't eat as much as usual and seems a little tired.  We've never felt it was severe enough to take him to the Vet since he does eat and drink afterwards and is back to himself in about 24 hours.

We pretty much have an eye on the dogs all the time unless they are in their crates sleeping or outside in their 7'x13' pen; they are mostly inside dogs when we're home.  So I'm pretty confident that he's not getting into anything; unless he gets something when we take them to the dog park, but again we're watching them most of the time.  We haven't changed their food or treats at all either.

Is it common for huskies to get sick like this?  Should we take him to the Vet?  Miles never has this issue; though I think he felt left out and pooped in his crate the day after Geordi got sick, LOL! 

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Colleen we had this problem with Nashoba and it was one of the reason we switched to feeding raw.  I'm happy to report it's never happened again.  DancingNorthern breeds are very sensitive to dry foods.  If you are feeding him dry, I'd try mixing it with wet food (canned) and see if this stops it. It did for Nashoba.   Personally, I would never feed any of my canines dry dog food again, ever.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

Thanks Nakoo!  I'll have to convince the husband to try switching since he's their main care-giver.  I'm still working away from home and only get to see everyone every other weekend.  I feel bad he has to do so much all by himself; but just switching to wet food wouldn't be any more work.  Going to a raw diet may be a little tougher.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Colleen Says:
Thanks Nakoo!  I'll have to convince the husband to try switching since he's their main care-giver.  I'm still working away from home and only get to see everyone every other weekend.  I feel bad he has to do so much all by himself; but just switching to wet food wouldn't be any more work.  Going to a raw diet may be a little tougher.

Wow, Colleen, you're still doing that.  It's gotta be tough being away from home and  your family for so long. Sad  Ya know, if he is opposed to raw, I do recommend that you guys get this book, Dr. Greg's Dog Dish Diet.  Dr. Greg Martinez has been a Vet for over 30 years and attributes most of doggie health ailments to their diet.  Stomach upsets, ongoing vomiting and diarrhea included plus other things like ear, skin problems and even urinary infections he also attributes to diets.  He considers wheat, beef and corn as the main culprits.  He gives you a good list of foods and some other suggestions.  A bonus of buying this book is that there is a picture of our Wolves in it eating a deer. Wink  I think you will be impressed on how simple it will all be to understand why dry dog food is NOT the thing we should be feeding our dogs.

Keep us posted, please.  Belly rubs to the boys.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

I just ordered the book from Amazon.  My husband is being resistent, but maybe I can make him read the book.  He really takes very good care of the boys; so it surprises me that he doesn't want to try to fix their pooping/puking problems.  He thinks that since it doesn't happen all the time, they are ok.  I'll work on him though.

Yep, I'm still working in Houston.  I'm getting very sick of all the travel.  I really miss my husband and the boys so very much!  I always worry they will forget who I am, but then I come home and they're all excited to see me; it's the best!

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this "Wolf Family" Childs Wolf T Shirt S
"Wolf Family" Childs Wolf T Shirt S
View details for this Heritage Plush Wolf
Heritage Plush Wolf
View details for this Wolf Pup Print 8x10
Wolf Pup Print 8x10
View details for this 3D Wolf Profile Necklace
3D Wolf Profile Necklace
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter