Wolf Gifts
Spend $25 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code SummerWolves to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Fish & Game Employee shoots wolf on JBER

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Fish & Game Employee shoots wolf on JBER
1 2 3 4 > >>
Fish & Game Employee shoots wolf on JBER
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Safety concerns prompted a state employee to shoot a wolf Wednesday on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. Wolves have recently caused problems on base and in the Eagle River area, killing dogs and becoming aggressive toward people.

An Alaska Department of Fish and Game employee killed the wolf with a shotgun, after spotting a pack of five wolves on base.

The state says it's working with the military to reduce the number of wolves. Wednesday’s shooting was the first wolf killed during the effort, but more may be killed in the coming weeks.

source

how is "spotting a pack of five wolves" a safety concern?Frustrated

Posted:

A female wolf in a pack thoughtWatching from the sidelines to be involved in several troubling encounters with humans in the Eagle River-Chugiak area was shot last week by an Alaska Department of Fish and Game employee on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, reports the Alaska Star.   <(new window)  It appears to have been the first killed in what Fish and Game says will be an effort to shoot or trap the entire pack of up to a dozen.Broken Heart

A state employee glimpsed a group of five wolves in the woods on the northwest part of what used to be Elmendorf Air Force Base after 4 p.m. on Jan. 12, according to Mark Burch, Fish and Game's regional wildlife conservation supervisor in Anchorage. The man was on base for unrelated reasons and wasn't there to pursue wolves, Burch said.

The wolf, a younger female, was about 40 yards away when she was shot, Burch said. That female was closest to him - that's why he targeted herMad - but the employee also saw four others a short distance behind her.

read more here

This DOES NOT make sense.  Protest

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

If there is any truth to the matter that these Wolves are bold, I'd say that there is either a dump on base that they are eating from or someone thought it was cool to feed the Wolves.  I'd lay odds on either scenario.Sad

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

I couldn't understand it and didn't even think of that.  Thank you, Nakoowolf.Thumbs Up   

1/16/11:  the area like a lot of those in Alaska receives many warnings about securing garbage properly and concerns about not only wolves but bears, moose, and birds.

Here is a link to an April 2010 article showing a black bear trying to break into a trash can at JBER's Gwen Lake.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

It's so sad that all of these animals (in the article you posted with the moose on the highway) have humans encroaching on their land and they are the ones who suffer.  Sad

Wolves as pointed out by biologists are quick learners and we teach them with our actions.  Obviously, they were given some mixed signals.

I knew someone in MS that thought it was cool to feed deer right by his house.   He wanted to see the Deer up close.  He fed them every night on logs outside his kitchen window.   The number of deer coming to feed was alarmingly high, to me.   I witnessed them coming up and eating right after he'd bring the corn out.  Well here it is a few years later and he has a problem.  He stopped feeding them and has now asked hunters to come shoot them because they are now eating the fruit off his trees and leaves off of young shrubs.   I guess you gotta be careful what you wish for.  Think before you act.  Leave our wildlife truly free.  Let them fend for themselves and in the end everyone will be happier.Idea

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

1 2 3 4 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Up North Wolf Paper Bag Short - L
Up North Wolf Paper Bag Short - L
View details for this Wolf Print 8x10
Wolf Print 8x10
View details for this Wolf Large Metal Candle Holder
Wolf Large Metal Candle Holder
View details for this Walk with the Pack Wolf Figurine
Walk with the Pack Wolf Figurine
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter