Wolf Gifts
Spend $25 or more in our gift shop to receive 15% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code SpringWolves to take advantage of this offer.  Every order will receive a free Wolf Magnet.  Howls!

Disperser or Breeder? Gray wolf trapped outside of Rochester released by DNR

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Disperser or Breeder? Gray wolf trapped outside of Rochester released by DNR
Disperser or Breeder? Gray wolf trapped outside of Rochester released by DNR
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

A gray wolf weighing an estimated 80 pounds was caught by a coyote trapper outside of Rochester, Minn., last weekend. With the exception of a sore paw, it was released unharmed by state Department of Natural Resources conservation officers.

Gray wolf reports are increasingly common in southeastern Minnesota, which is outside their normal breeding range. But biologists don't believe the animals are breeding or establishing packs in the region.

"I think this (report) is unique," said Dan Stark, wolf expert for the DNR. "It's consistent with a disperser, like the others that have shown up before."

Conservation officers received a call from the trapper, and they found the wolf alive in the trap.

Stark said it was likely that gray wolves in southeastern Minnesota originate in Wisconsin, rather than northern Minnesota, because there are wolf packs established just 75 miles east of Rochester. Stark said gray wolves would be able to cross the Mississippi River during winter.

Stark said he has heard of wolves killed accidentally each of the past three winters in southeastern Minnesota. He said "there is the possibility" wolves could establish breeding populations in the southeast, but maintaining a population might be difficult, given the number of highways and potential conflicts with humans.

source

enlarged photo  "This gray wolf was caught by a coyote trapper just outside of Rochester, Minn., over the weekend."

I am not a fan of trapping but I am glad that the trapper called and in time to save this sweetheart.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

OMG he is GORGEOUS!  Poor guy.  I hope he gets the heck out of dodge.  He looks pretty young.Love

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Those traps should be outlawed.  I just blew up that picture to see what was on the side of his muzzle which I still don't know what it is but the cut on his paw was deep and BAD!  Very barbaric practice. MadWhipCryingBroken Heart

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Head USB LED Lamp
Wolf Head USB LED Lamp
View details for this Owning the Moon Wolf Hoodie-M
Owning the Moon Wolf Hoodie-M
View details for this Wolf Howl Mens High Top Shoes
Wolf Howl Mens High Top Shoes
View details for this On Watch Child's Wolf T Shirt - CXL
On Watch Child's Wolf T Shirt - CXL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted