Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfGoods to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Don't Let Congress Kill Wolves

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf Legislation >> Don't Let Congress Kill Wolves
1 2 > >>
Don't Let Congress Kill Wolves
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Republican and Democratic members of Congress in the House and Senate have introduced four bills to eviscerate gray wolves' Endangered Species Act protections before they have fully recovered.

The various bills would remove Endangered Species Act protections from wolves in Montana and Idaho, portions of surrounding states, or the entire country, and would legislatively overturn the Center's latest successful lawsuit that restored Endangered Species Act protections to wolves throughout Montana, Idaho, and parts of Washington, Oregon and Utah.

View the bills here: H.R. 6028 , S. 3825 , S. 3919 , S. 3864 .

more info here

There is a take action by 12/31/10 form for anyone who may choose to do so or you could use your own words and send a letter yourself.  The link provides addresses to your local area rep.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Thanks for the link, Chris.  I've sent off my letter.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Frustrated  Here is the response I got from my Senator...........Banging Head  What's wrong with this guy, it wasn't about the aerial slaughter of Wolves.  He must have a form letter from the last time I wrote him.  Mad  Guess I'll just have to call his office.Watching from the sidelines

Thank you for contacting me regarding aerial slaughter of the gray wolf. I am glad to have the benefits of your views on this issue.

The Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) created Section 4(d) rules, which were intended to reduce conflicts between the provisions of the act and needs of people near the areas occupied by the species. This type of special rule has been in effect for the threatened gray wolves in Minnesota for many years, and was extended to gray wolves in other states, when and where the wolf was down listed. Under the rule, individual wolves that have preyed on domestic animals can be killed by designated government agents.

In 2003, FWS vacated Section 4(d) rules that would have allowed individuals to kill Western DPS wolves in the act of attacking livestock on private land, and to harass wolves near livestock. Permits to kill wolves could have also been issued to landowners who showed wolves routinely were present and formed a significant risk to livestock. Be assured I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation affecting the gray wolf.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance

With best wishes, I am

Sincerely yours,

Roger F.Wicker
            U.S. Senate

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

GEEZWhip

I haven't sent my letters yet but have been keeping track of the bills.

All of the bills are in their first steps of the legislative process.  When introduced as these have been, they go to committees that investigate them before they go up for general debate.  The majority of bills (and resolutions) never make it out of committee.

So far, the 3 Senate bills all were read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.  No further action since the end of September.  The House Bill H.R. 6028 was re ferred to the House Committee on Natural Resources with no further action since July 30.

Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

update...

The Baucus and Tester bill has the support of the Montana Wildlife Federation, the state’s oldest hunting organization, and the Montana Farm Bureau. Whether it passes or not, it may force the entire wolf debate to the negotiating table — or back to court.

“We’re concerned with what Congress is doing will only further polarize the issue,” said Jeff Welsch of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, one of the lead plaintiffs in the suit. “We are willing to come to the table and work together under the parameters of the ESA.”

Welsch said his group does not oppose a “fair chase” hunt as a management tool.Confused

full story here

The Baucus and Tester Bill is linked in the first post here or you can click > S.3864 to see it.

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt - L
Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt - L
View details for this Wolf Pup Magnet - Nita
Wolf Pup Magnet - Nita
View details for this Wolf Print 8x10
Wolf Print 8x10
View details for this Wolf Howl Truckers Jacket - JR S
Wolf Howl Truckers Jacket - JR S
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted