Wolf Gifts

Watch for reduced priced items throughout our Wolf gift shop plus Save 10% off all orders $20 and over by using discount code Markdowns at checkoutA free Wolf Magnet is included with each order.  Happy Howlidays to you and your Pack!  May you have a howling good New Year!

Lakota Wolf Preserve

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Places to see Wolves >> Lakota Wolf Preserve
Lakota Wolf Preserve
Author: TravelingSong
Total Posts: 16
Date Joined: 3/12/2010
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:
Edited On by TravelingSong

I tried to see if anyone has been to the Lakota Wolf Preserve in New Jersey on here but when I searched it I kept getting hits on various wolves named Lakota. I eventually convinced my Mom to drive me there. Only 3 hours away! And if I reeeeally wanted to, it was possible to go to Lakota Wolf Preserve AND see the Speedwell wolves again at Wolf Sanc. of PA all in one trip cause the GPS made us go through Lititz! But we only went to Lakota cause well, never been there before!

Back to NJ. I'm glad my Mom let us make reservations for a Tuesday instead of a weekend that doesn't need a reservation cause when I checked the Preserve's Facebook it turns out they get floooooods of people on the weekends sometimes! Yikes! I think being around 100 people with the wolves would have been no fun at all. The wolves were suspicious of our humble party of 15 as it was! Poor little darlings. Think of all the noise 100 people would make!

It was a nice crisp nippy morning once we got out of the car and man I was sure happy I brought my jacket with me. Though a pleasant warm day was no problem cause the cool weather means more active wolves! And were they ever! Compared to the Speedwell wolves, no offense guys! D: , these wolves were like superstars and the preserve was like a little piece of heaven. They even howls for us! Twice! The first time was when Jim, one of the owners who was giving the tour, was talking about wolf howls and goaded us on to try and get them to howl and once Jim joined our pitiful yipping the whole preserve was filled with song from all 4 packs. It was amazing hearing them! That was the first time I've heard wolves howl in person. It made my hair stand on end in excitement. The second time wasn't even on cue. The other tour guide lady, I forget your name sorry! It was either Pam or Becky? Maybe?, was calling the names of a few wolves in the Arctic Wolf pack and they just broke into song. It was great cause it was so unexpected.

The way the packs are set up the tour takes place in the center of all the packs so you can see them all at once in the round. It was pretty neat and very smart planning. The preserve is in a camp ground so basically think camping woods with just a fence around the natural shrubbery and a man made pond for each pack. The ground was also on a tilt, but to the advantage of the viewers for the most part. If I was a real wolf, I'd love to live there. It seemed so nice and welcoming and peaceful.

I took a lot of pictures and will upload them in a few days when I get the chance.

Oh! Lakota Wolf Preserve also has two foxes, Tonka and Sierra, and three bobcats named Santa, Cache and Bobby. The foxes were hilarious. Wild balls of fur! They had super thick, I mean THIIIICK tails! And it's early! The tour guide lady said this made the impending winter seem very dreary. Seems like the foxes are predicting a bad loooong winter and according to the guide they're never wrong.

Right now I'm still tired from the traveling to NJ and back. Had to get up at 5:45AM!! I'll edit this and write more later. It was AWESOME.

Posted:

Finally posted my pictures! CLICK HERE

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

Thank you for sharing your experience, TravelingSong.  I smiled when I saw that you captured the true nature of wolves in one of your pictures:

"Timber Wolf pack's sign.  They kept hiding in their enclosure and were hard to photograph haha."

What was the most interesting information you learned?  Was any of our Wolf News helpful?

Posted:

I learned that foxes use tools like primates! Foxes will actually take a stick when they have fleas and get into the water slowly. They let the water raise up to their necks and hold the stick up in the air. As the water goes higher up their face, the fleas will climb higher. Eventually the fox will just have it's nose out of the water while holding the stick. The fleas will climb up the stick and the fox will sink under the water and let the flea infested stick float down the river to the flea's watery grave. How clever is that!!

Interesting things pertaining to wolves, hmm. I dunno. I know most common said things at wolf preserves. These wolves were all pure wolves. It was amazing to see, even though accustomed to being around people, that they are such shy and peeksy at us when we were there! A peeksy wolf is a real wolf! That's how they would be in the wild. I was glad that they still retain all their instincts even if that sacrificed photographic opprotunities.

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Animal Spirit Totem Wall Plaque
Wolf Animal Spirit Totem Wall Plaque
View details for this Wolf Print 5x7
Wolf Print 5x7
View details for this Blue Moon Wolf Necklace
Blue Moon Wolf Necklace
View details for this Wolf Paw Print T Shirt - XL
Wolf Paw Print T Shirt - XL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted
For Assistance Call 662-316-9961