Wolf Gifts
Use discount code ScaryHowls at checkout to save 10% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Happy Halloween!

Not quite a Husky but can anyone help?

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Not quite a Husky but can anyone help?
Not quite a Husky but can anyone help?
Author: Honiahaka
Total Posts: 94
Date Joined: 5/10/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Hey I have an Alaskan Malamute at the age of 3 that I rescued and she has a bit of a behaviour problem. I dont know what to do as she isnt good with both animals or humans she doesnt know. She will growl at people and also snap but she has never bitten anyone but we are scared incase she does. Does anyone know anything we could do?

Also she will go down to the bottom of the garden and bark even though nothing is there. We dont know what to do with that either. She used to have a bark collar but we didnt think it was very nice to her.

Is this a sign of dominance or something like that?

please help.

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

In my opinion, a snap and growl is a canine warning.  What she is warning about will help you respond productively.

There may be subtle clues you are missing in her body language that would tell you.  I would try to identify the circumstances around the behavior and gather the information.  When does it happen, what's the same about when it happens?  Perhaps keep a log to help decide whether you and your dog need professional help or behavior modification.

Try to get some history from her rescuers.  Was she abused?  Was she socialized?  Lack of confidence is a sign of lack of socialization.  Was she afraid of certain type of people; big guys, erratic children...???   Dogs hearing are very keen.  It may appear she is barking at nothing in the garden but it could be something as far as a mile away that she hears or annoys her.  Wouldn't hurt to check out her ears by a vet.

Author: SHvar
Total Posts: 645
Date Joined: 8/21/2006
Posted:

Malamutes are quite a bit different than huskies, they are much more powerful and have a natural animal aggression which requires early training and socialization. At that age socialization, and training will require alot of patience and trust. 
Be careful, they are so powerful. malamutes usually behave like a husky with humans, but the dominant side shines with same sex dogs they dont know or especially when they havent been properly socialized. When introduced to humans is the dog confined, on a rope or chain, on a leash in a area they cannot back away? Sounds like the dog feels insecure and needs to have a bit of space to meet the human on its own terms rather than to be forced into a confrontation its uncomfortable with.
I knew a malamute that as an adult was dangerous in the area of his doghouse, but once away from that immediate area (a few feet), or taken off a short leash was a sweetheart, like jekyl and hyde, I guess the fact he was around 150 lbs and so strong made it more difficult also.

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Print 5x7
Wolf Print 5x7
View details for this All Mine Wolf T Shirt - XXXL
All Mine Wolf T Shirt - XXXL
View details for this Howlidays Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt XXXL
Howlidays Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt XXXL
View details for this Rhinestone Wolf Scoop Neck Tee - XXXL
Rhinestone Wolf Scoop Neck Tee - XXXL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted
For Assistance Call 662-316-9961