Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfGoods to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Wolves make few unnecessary elk kills, study says

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Wolves make few unnecessary elk kills, study says
Wolves make few unnecessary elk kills, study says
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

A multiyear U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service study of wolves in the winter in the Gros Ventre drainage shows they rarely kill more than they need to eat and do not prey on moose in excess, researchers say.

Mike Jimenez, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Wyoming wolf management project leader, called the low incidence of such killing “surprising.” He released highlights of the study to the News&Guide on Monday.

“We thought if there is ever a place you would document surplus killing, these feedgrounds would be the spot,” he said. “To us, what was surprising was we just did not document it that often.”

“All the cases were in March or late February,” he said. “That coincides [with] pups right when they become yearlings. They’re coming into their own.”

U.S. Fish and Wildlife researchers and Grand Teton National Park are conducting a similar study on two wolf packs that winter around the north end of the park. The first year’s data is available at

www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/wolf/wyomingstatus2010/04092010.html.

Researchers caution that the data in the Grand Teton study is preliminary and based on only one year’s observations.

Jimenez did not know when the study on Gros Ventre predation would be released. Those interested may contact him at mike_jimenez@fws.gov

source

Surprising, they say.  All this time, the wolf took the blame and the wolf management project leader didn't know.Sad 

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Jimenez said instances of wolves killing more than they needed to eat were difficult to measure accurately, because some wolves tended to abandon carcasses that were disturbed by humans.

“Some wolf packs, if we messed with the carcass at all, they’d never come back,” he said. “Some wolf packs [couldn’t] care less.”

Interesting so the number of surplus kills would even be less than the study indicated which was low anyway because of the fact that they carcasses were handled by humans.  I know our Wolves won't eat food that anyone other than the BD and I have touched.  Ask Musher Maggie!Wink  I also wear disposable gloves when I prepare their meals in case I have a scent on me that would deter them from eating.

Interesting that they conducted the study in an area that they were confident would produce many surplus kills. Thumbs Down  I hope Molloy is presented this study. 

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Howlidays Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt S
Howlidays Wolf Long Sleeve T Shirt S
View details for this Yin Yang Long Sleeve Wolf TShirt-XL
Yin Yang Long Sleeve Wolf TShirt-XL
View details for this Wolf Vigil Ladies T Shirt - XXXL
Wolf Vigil Ladies T Shirt - XXXL
View details for this Chillin Wolf T Shirt - S
Chillin Wolf T Shirt - S
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted