Wolf Gifts
Use discount code MamaWolf at checkout to save 15% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order.   

Help Needed

Everything Wolf Forum >> Dog Forums >> Puppy Forum >> Help Needed
1 2 > >>
Help Needed
Author: ReidandGisa
Total Posts: 7
Date Joined: 4/26/2010
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:
Edited On by ReidandGisa

Okay I got my wolfpup at about 16 weeks. she is a very high content wd. there are alot of things that are going wrong. she has an outdoor run about 10x18. She growls all the time when I come near her. i had her in the house for about 1 week. she also bites. i have used a sharp tone to scould her but it is not working. am at a loss here as everything ive read on how to disapline is not working. im in no way ready to give up :)  just looking for some help on how to understand this and work through it.

Reid and Gisa(my wolfie:)

I have moved her back into the house. so she can get acustomed to me and be around me 24/7 as she has no other den mates. she has shown some improvement but still growls after having her for about 3 weeks now.

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

How much time do you spend with Gisa?  How long is she alone?

When you say she growls all the time when you come near her, does that include when you are bringing her food?

When the sharp tone doesn't work, what do you do?

Author: ReidandGisa
Total Posts: 7
Date Joined: 4/26/2010
Posted:
Edited On by ReidandGisa

Whenever im not sleeping she is around me. yes she growls when I give her food and water. she is only crated at night while im sleeping. ive only had to use the sharp tone a few times ie. when she bit me and in housebreaking. which she is very good about waiting until i get her outside. any help would be awesome. thx when the sharp tone doesnt work i pick her up by the scruff and take her to the crate. i hope thats not bad. :(  she will try and bite me when i do this also........ when she bit me i put her on her back and held her front legs until she camled down(i had read this tactic on another site) hope that is the right thing.

reid and gisa

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

I think the biting and growling are fear based.  She is a little old and heavy to be picking her up by the scruff of her neck.  Think of when her parents would have done this to her, she would have been a pup under 1 month old.  I personally wouldn't do that at this point with her.  Instead try standing over her showing your authority.  Be consistent in  your discipline with her and absolutely NO hitting that will come back to bite you literally in the butt. I think she was a bit on the older side to be placed with you.  I'm sure she misses her packmates.  What I would do is spend every minute I could with her.  Find something she likes to do and do it with her.  Does she sleep with you?  If not, I recommend that as well.  They are highly social creatures and leaving her alone will only make for one very depressed and fearful animal.  She needs a pack, it is her nature.  When she does something you don't like, roll her on her belly and say NO like you mean it.  Never show fear even when you think she is gonna bite you or you will lose.  Animals make theirselves bigger when they are being dominant, think like that.  Don't show your fear, ever.  You must discipline only with LOVE not anger.  If you get angry do not discipline, growl and walk away.Idea

At this age she would be wrestling around with her packmates and they would already be ironing out their positions in the pack.  She will out position you if you let that happen.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: wolfy
Total Posts: 1423
Date Joined: 7/3/2009
Posted:

Hi,ReidandGisa,i'm so happy you want to help Gisa and you're trying to do the right things  for the best of herBig SmileThumbs Up Maybe it's also good to show her than you are older than her and that you ever know what exactly to do,never show that you are confused from something and don't know how to react,the animals do listen  the older and respect them when they are more clever than them.Try to be always calm and it's good to talk to her constantly,you also can try eating next to her when she's eating,watching how you eat together can make her feel closer to you,also the animals are observing us constantly,so when you are around her you can teach her constantly in all.Also it's good to show in all the ways you can you love her,talk quiet to her with love,smile to her when you give her food,showing that you cre for her,the animals feel what's in our heart,if you can touch her,try to pet her,show her constantly there is no reason to be scared from you and that you will never hurt her.I wish you all good with herLoveLove

By the way I'm just curious with what you feed her?

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Paw Print Childs T Shirt-CS
Wolf Paw Print Childs T Shirt-CS
View details for this Wolf Song Figurine
Wolf Song Figurine
View details for this Path of the Wolf Spirit Paint by Number Kit
Path of the Wolf Spirit Paint by Number Kit
View details for this End of the Day Wolf Fine Art Glass
End of the Day Wolf Fine Art Glass
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted