Wolf Gifts
Use discount code Howlidays at checkout to save 10% off orders $25 and over.  Seasons Greetings and Howls to you and your Pack!

Need Help with Stopping Fighting

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Need Help with Stopping Fighting
<< < 1 2 3 4 > >>
Need Help with Stopping Fighting
Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Thumbs Up This all sounds good so far.  Take it slow and remember not to let your guard down, they are opportunists like their cousins, the Wolves! Wink  My thoughts are with you and your pack for some peaceful days to come.

There was a dog shot in across the road from us today for going on a neighbors property, if only the owner would have thought to use a wireless fence if would have saved it's life. CryingBroken HeartMad  There is a time when shock collars to have their place.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

Just a quick update. You are correct they are amazing opportunists.

The morning after my last update, Connor (the Puppy) was in the yard with Kira (Female) and they were out of sight for a longer time than usual. I opened the sliding glass door, went out to check, closed the door, and got about 5 feet away when I saw the two on the side of the house. Turned around to go back, and saw Kody (Big Male) pawing the door handle and then sliding it open with his snoot. He darts out and I dive to grab him and miss. He had been upstairs sleeping. Total elapsed time about 5 seconds.

Connor sees him across the yard and stops and stares, Kody sees Connor and stares, I yell for my daughter. The 2 charge at each other full speed and meet on hind legs like some kind of Antelope butting heads. Shock collar had no effect. There I am again, in the middle, one hand on each collar while each has the others neck locked in their jaws. Broke them up using recommendation from trainer. My daughter squeezed Connor's back leg right by the crotch and he released. I squeezed Kody's leg and he released. My daughter then dragged Connor back into the garage. Total damage 3 stitches to Connors lower lip and a couple of hundred more bucks to the vet.

Since then no more episodes, but getting dogs in and out requires extra checking of who is where and lots of new rules:     Door to garage cannot be opened unless Connor is crated or outside with garage back door locked.  Kody and Kira cannot be let out unless Connor is crated and back door to garage is locked.  Glass door must be locked, pinned, and chair put in front door of when ever Connor is outside.

As you can guess, mornings and dinner time need to be carefully coordinated.

Sadly, the reality of all this is just that these 2 dogs just do not like each other anymore. Trainers and shock collars have done nothing. We are in the process of trying to find a new home for Connor. He can't continue to live in the garage and the family can't continue to live in lockdown. My daughter is hoping for a temporary foster home until she finishes school and moves out in a year or so.

Any news I will post and as always any recommendations are welcome.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Like I told you we have to keep dogs separated here forever.  We have are lab, Sarah  and mixed breed, Tah-lee in a wireless fence and the other dogs Sibes and Willy, mal-mix together in a cyclone fence.  I don't know if a wireless fence would work for a Sibe but it may be worth a try for one of the males.  Just make sure that you can bring it back if it doesn't work, it's expensive.  We put alot of money into this, too and yes Vet bills as well.  We put up a roof over their yards, price tag over $1300.  Ya do what ya have to do to keep them unharmed.  Where is the Dog Whisperer when you need him?  My  thoughts are with you all.  Keep us posted.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

Best wishes for some way to provide separation especially if it's only for a year.  But for the clever sliding the door open, you really had a handle on it.

My first thought is a garage is better than a shelter.  Also, if you surrender your dog to foster, you will not get him back.

Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

Week 7 of lockdown continues. The two guys have been kept apart resulting in no fights or vet trips. As long as the glass holds up on the patio sliding door we will be OK. No luck so far finding temporary foster home, but still looking.

The garage is now Connor’s personal kingdom and anything that can be destroyed has been. Not a bad setup with his own personal fan, lights and radio. My daughter walks him often and he gets lots of car rides. He also gets inside house time while Kody is in the backyard. Connor likes this, but is seems to annoy Kody. After they switch back Kody has to sniff every inch of the house. Kira continues to be neutral living and playing with both of them.

Anyone have a suggestion for something comfortable for the crate that is indestructible? Crate liner destroyed, dog bed eaten, dog pillow gutted and flung around. Blankets are OK but he shoves them to the back and doesn’t seem to sleep on them.

<< < 1 2 3 4 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Hold On Wolf Ring
Hold On Wolf Ring
View details for this Boho Wolf Necklace
Boho Wolf Necklace
View details for this Gray Wolf Hand Puppet
Gray Wolf Hand Puppet
View details for this Winter Moon Long Sleeve Wolf Shirt - S
Winter Moon Long Sleeve Wolf Shirt - S
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted