Wolf Gifts
Use discount code Howlidays at checkout to save 10% off orders $25 and over.  Seasons Greetings and Howls to you and your Pack!

Need Help with Stopping Fighting

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Need Help with Stopping Fighting
<< < 1 2 3 4 > >>
Need Help with Stopping Fighting
Author: muskyhusky
Total Posts: 7339
Date Joined: 7/29/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:
Edited On by muskyhusky

I think choker collars and shock collars should be outlawed,Thumbs Down my opinion onlyI hope that you cleaned him up because the urine can burn his skin....Scared

80.gif picture by muskyhusky
Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

Thanks everyone for the replies. All 3 dogs are crate trained and respond to 'Kennel up'. Before the fighting, only the puppy was crated when everyone would leave the house. The older guys have the whole house to roam. It got interesting sometimes when all 3 would try to get in the same crate.

We have kept them separated since the puppy came home and so far no fights. Lots of barking and howling at the garage door, and they get the run of the outside in shifts. Confrontations at the back glass door are at first loud then calm down. Trainer comes again tonight.

While I am in no way a fan of the shock collar for normal training, the situation here is extreme. Along with getting the guys to tolerate each other the trainer is also trying to train the family what to look for before a fight starts. Believe me, once the fighting starts it is fierce. My son and I have gotten in the middle to break it up and both gotten bitten. We need something along with the vocal commands to stop them, and if a fight breaks out something other than our skin to break them up. In any case, the collar the trainer brought over would not stop a toy poodle. He is looking for a stronger one, I am still skeptical. Will post again soon.

By the way, used the search feature to figure out how to add photos.

Happier times!  Connor, Kodiak and Kira Feb 10. 2010. 

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz265/gombar_photos/Dogs/SnowDogs-1.jpg

SnowDogs-1.jpg picture by gombar_photos

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

Thanks for the update.  I want to say that my opinion re: shock comes without experience.  If it meant losing the dog or giving it up, I think I might consider anything like you would for any family member.  One of my relatives used a shock collar for possession aggression behavior.  It worked for the family without further incident. 

Glad you searched how to post their pictures.Thumbs Up 

They are just beautiful.LoveLoveLove

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Though I am also not a fan of shock collars, it's better than getting a dog killed or put in the pound.  I wish you the best of luck with this and please keep us posted.  I have 3 Huskies, a Mal mix, lab and a chow mix.  There are personality conflicts that turn dangerous at times so we've had to really change up the way we do things and who is with who.  So, I totally understand your dilema.  I'm happy that you are seeking help with this and applaud you for what you have done so far. Thumbs UpClapping  I love the picture, looks fun.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

A quick update. Latest shock collar gets the puppies attention, although I doubt he would notice (or care) if he was in the middle of a fight. It is ONLY used if he starts the slightest aggression towards Kodiak. Aside from the last the last training session I have only had to use it twice. Both times were confrontations at the sliding glass door with the puppy on the outside and his fur went up and he growled. Collar in combination with " NO " and he stopped right away. He does appear to have learned since the last couple of glass door encounters have been fine and neither one seems to get excited anymore.

Good news is keeping them completely separated is working (but a Lot of work!). The only contact this week has been on either side of the door. We allow Kira out in the yard with the puppy and they play, rough sometimes, but still play. Trainers come again this week and will try walking the guys together.

<< < 1 2 3 4 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Cribbage Board
Wolf Cribbage Board
View details for this Wolf Pup Print 5x7
Wolf Pup Print 5x7
View details for this Wolf Print 5x7
Wolf Print 5x7
View details for this Wolf Paw Print Childs T Shirt-CS
Wolf Paw Print Childs T Shirt-CS
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted