Wolf Gifts
Use discount code ScaryHowls at checkout to save 10% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Happy Halloween!

Need Help with Stopping Fighting

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Need Help with Stopping Fighting
1 2 3 4 > >>
Need Help with Stopping Fighting
Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Looking for some suggestions to help everyone get along. Our 3 huskies Kody ( 6 year old male, Not neutered ), Kira ( 3 1/2 year old female, spayed) and Connor (16 month male, Recently Neutered) are in a bad place. About 6 weeks ago the puppy, Connor decided he no longer wanted to take being submissive to Kody. The result was escalating fights started by the puppy in situations he in the past had backed off from. Triggers seem to be attention and toy possession. In any case, current tally is 2 humans bitten (breaking up fights), 2 ears chomped, 1 paw gouge (requiring stitches and halo), 1 cut by the eye and Vet bills. Kira just stays out of it.

My daughter moved the puppy (45 lbs!) out to her boyfriend’s house and had him neutered. All went well for a week until he according to her boyfriends mother he went 'Psycho" on the their 8 year old lapso-apso. Now he is out of that house and being boarded. This week, with the help of a trainer, the 2 guys are going to be brought together again.

Anyone with any suggestions, now matter how small, on how to return harmony (and Connor!) to our house please share. Especially if you have experienced fighting like this, just need to know if there is hope 3, 6, 9 months down the road. Our only other choice is to find Connor a new home.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Hi, I've been there with two of our female Huskies fighting like that and now with two rescues, a lab and mixed chow who don't get along with the Huskies.  The fights are always female vs female and male vs male, never cross gender.  We had them fixed but it didn't stop the fighting, I believe that's an old wives's tale.  In a Wolf pack and  your dogs are living in a pack, there is a dominant leader.  Sounds like the pup wants to be that.  There is not much you can do unless you are with them 24/7.  What we have done is keep the ones that don't get along separate.  Our two Huskie females worked it out as they got older and they are together now but the female Lab still attacks the weakest Huskie for position so we don't let them near each other.  In a Wolf pack, the less dominant Wolf would leave.  We have two fences, indoor and outdoor dogs, it's the only way to absolutely prevent it.  I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the only solution we have found to be 100% fool proof.   Keep us posted.Sad  I know the frustration.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

Thank you for your concern. Trainer came this morning along with two other trainers. They let the 2 guys, on leash, see each other through the fence and the puppy Connor got really aggressive right away. Kody (Older guy) just barked back. After working them together for half an hour, things were calmer. Any sign of aggression was rewarded with hard pull on the choker collar. Even had Kody walk past Connor within a foot and Connor stayed in sit.

The Trainers are recommending a shock collar for Connor to help reinforce / stop the aggressive behavior. I don’t have any objections to this, but has anyone with a Husky ever had much success with one? These guys don’t seem to care about pain when they are aggressive. Connor just about knocked himself unconscious pulling on the choke collar. (As a rule, they are walked in walking harnesses, or pulling harness if feeling adventurous. Choke collar is for Vet visits.)

Connor is also back at the house. He is being crated in the garage. Far from the best solution, but when he was picked up from the boarding kennel today he smelled and his feet were urine and feces soaked. Can’t send him back there. More training sessions this week, will post again.

Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Posted:

Oh dear!  I'm so sorry for your troubles Sad  We haven't had any fighting issues, but I wanted to tell you that we crate both our boys 8 hrs at night and 8 hrs during the day with a little lunch break in between.  You may have not trained the older 2 to crate and it would probably be impossible to get them to go in there now, but it may be a good option for the younger one.  My boys are almost 2 now and they are perfectly fine with the crate; we just exercise them a lot when we get home.  One of ours actually loves his crate; it's his safe place. 

I hope you figure something out though ((hugs)).

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland Says:

These guys don’t seem to care about pain when they are aggressive. Connor just about knocked himself unconscious pulling on the choke collar.

I am not a fan of shock collars and above is one very good reason.  I do not have any experience with them.

To see a few WHAP discussions, use our search box at the top right and type in "shock collars."

Best wishes in your loving effort to keep all your furrbuts home and please keep us posted.

1 2 3 4 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Walk Long Sleeve T Shirt-XXL
Wolf Walk Long Sleeve T Shirt-XXL
View details for this Owning the Moon long sleeve Childs shirt-CM
Owning the Moon long sleeve Childs shirt-CM
View details for this Peace Wolf Tank Top - S
Peace Wolf Tank Top - S
View details for this Wolves Sapphire Long Sleeve TShirt-XL
Wolves Sapphire Long Sleeve TShirt-XL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted