Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfGoods to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Outdoor trail camera captures possible wolf near Oregon, IL

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Outdoor trail camera captures possible wolf near Oregon, IL
Outdoor trail camera captures possible wolf near Oregon, IL
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

The first good photograph of a live wolf in modern Illinois might have been captured by a trail cam last week near Oregon, Ill. It comes about the same time as a reliable report and photos of an apparent wolf, a 140-pound canine, shot near Walnut, Ill.

...about 9 a.m. March 9, he checked with professional wildlife managers, including regional wildlife biologist Tom Beissel.

''It looks a wolf,'' he said. ''It is pretty cool. It is within the parameters of what we have already seen in Illinois.''

Beissel said tissue samples were taken for DNA testing.

Of the four wolves confirmed in 21st-century Illinois, three were shot accidentally by coyote hunters. Illinois has an open coyote season.

''If it is, it would be the most southern trail-cam photo of a wolf in the Midwest,'' said Adrian Wydeven, Wisconsin's pre-eminent authority on wolves, while traveling Tuesday.

Suntimes article and photos:  "Picture this:  A wolf, man"

I had a little trouble clicking to the article but succeeded on the second try.  To see the photos enlarged, I had to click on the actual picture to get an enlarged version.  I cannot at all tell if it is a wolf but if I had to guess, I would say it is not.  It's hard to tell from the photo but the paws look small for one thing.  I hope it is not shot like the poor sweetie in Walnut was.Broken Heart 

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

GF, it sure looks like a Wolf to me.  I hope it stays alive.Love

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

I just knew you would be able to tell.Thumbs Up No one else lives with wolves 24/7.  Wolves in Illinois, Nakoowolf!  Do you think that the two wolves were travelling together before one was killed?  The distance between Walnut and Oregon is about 130 miles.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:
Edited On by Nakoowolf

Chris Says:
I just knew you would be able to tell.Thumbs Up No one else lives with wolves 24/7.  Wolves in Illinois, Nakoowolf!  Do you think that the two wolves were travelling together before one was killed?  The distance between Walnut and Oregon is about 130 miles.

I didn't make a judgement call on the first one because it's harder to tell when they are dead and you don't see movement and normal body mass and fur.  That being said, it appeared to me the one shot may have been a Wolfdog.  If the animal shot was a Wolf, they sure could have been travelling together, it would make life a heck of a lot easier for them.Watching from the sidelines 

edit:  I went back and am looking at the picture from the trail cam.  What says Wolf to me is the muzzle, see how there is not much stop there, it flows right from the top of the head to the tip of the nose in a straight line.  Also, the ears are wide and heavily furred.  The animals right front paw is on the ground and you can see it is quite large.  Also notice the saddle shape lighter fur on it's back, it's called a cape. 

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

I see what you say, NakoowolfDancing  Thank you.  There are a few more photos including a comparitive taken from the same distance of the possible wolf and a deer this article

See The Photos Of The Wolf

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Make Some Noise Wolf Child's T Shirt XS
Make Some Noise Wolf Child's T Shirt XS
View details for this Wolf Print 5x7
Wolf Print 5x7
View details for this Niko, Jumbo Wolf Magnet
Niko, Jumbo Wolf Magnet
View details for this Princess Chito Child's Wolf T Shirt - XS
Princess Chito Child's Wolf T Shirt - XS
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted