Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfGoods to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

MN: Wolf, sprung from her pen, rejected by her sisters on return

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> MN: Wolf, sprung from her pen, rejected by her sisters on return
1 2 > >>
MN: Wolf, sprung from her pen, rejected by her sisters on return
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Callahan saw things weren't just going to go back to normal.

"That day I had a tour group. We walked out at 10 o'clock in the morning. Of course they were excited to see her. We walked out and she had blood streaming from her hip and from her side."

The captive pack was working just like a pack in the wild. When a leader's weak, other pack members try to take over.

Callahan thinks one sister attacked from the rear and another from the front. She says they saw Medium Toast was weak and took action.

"I'm going to guess who the leader of the attack was the lightest colored female in here. Her face had multiple bites," she said. "My guess is she started it. And the other female was opportunistic and took advantage. I think what they ended up dealing with was an opponent that fought back."

The government decided to take Medium Toast away and try to mate her with a male somewhere else. She will leave in a few weeks.

At this point she's very stressed. She's in a new enclosure by herself," Callahan said. "She's very fearful. We limit any contact we have with her to feeding, watering, that's it."

These two on the other hand have been incredibly vocal."

The two sisters circle the back of their enclosure nervously. Callahan says she can't yet tell who's in charge now.

The sisters may not have decided yet.

The Wildlife Center is spending $50,000 on security upgrades.

complete story here

previously on WHAP, Vandals release 3 wolves from Wildlife Science Center:

https://www.everythingwolf.com/forum/threadview.aspx?thread=8875p1

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Thanks for the update.  I'm sorry to hear that this whole thing has upset the pack to the point of them being separated for good.  Broken Heart

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: wildlifeman
Total Posts: 87
Date Joined: 11/21/2009
Posted:

Could or would this ever happen to the WHAP pack? The fighting to be so bad that one wolf would have to be moved or would it just be a testing each other and the next alpha move into position. I hope this made sense.

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

Any wolf taken out of its pack for any reason for any lenth of time is at risk of being injured by the other wolves when reintroduced.  It may be impossible to put them back into the pack.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

You're 100% correct, Chris.  Did you guys know that dogs, that live in a pack setting, are the same way?  They are.  Even taking one of our dogs to the Vet or for a walk, constitutes a brow beating when they come home.   It's basic instinct so that the pack stays together.  

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Winter Moon Wolf Childs Long Sleeve T - CM
Winter Moon Wolf Childs Long Sleeve T - CM
View details for this Wolf Inside Dog T Shirt - 3XL
Wolf Inside Dog T Shirt - 3XL
View details for this Wolf Crystal Ring - 6
Wolf Crystal Ring - 6
View details for this Together Wolf Magnet
Together Wolf Magnet
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter