Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our Wolf gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code ShopWolves to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Colorado ranch owner anticipates wolf’s return

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Colorado ranch owner anticipates wolf’s return
<< < 1 2
Colorado ranch owner anticipates wolf’s return
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Believe me, I know this man is not dedicated to preserving wolves and there is high risks on a wolf's life even before recovered population numbers are reached but I am hoping: 

"Paul Vahldiek had plenty of questions when he first heard about the wolf evidence on the ranch. Would wolves shrink his prized elk herd, which attracted so many of his clients? Would they unsettle his cattle, and lower their birthing rates? "I didn't wake up one morning and cheer and say, 'OK, wolves!' " he says. "But it's the hand we're dealt. And if they help the land be healthier, I'm for that."

Posted:

Colorado Wolf topic resurfaces in this article revealing that special motion cameras to be deployed this summer may help confim that Yellowstone wolves have expanded their range.

"If if they are out there and we have enough of these placed, I think for certain that we'll finally get a real picture of a wolf in the area," said Roger Creasey, a biologist who is one of several experts working as a part of a science team at the High Lonesome Ranch near DeBeque."

No everyone agrees but the team is not discouraged as they await results of the DNA testing on samples of possible wolf scat...

"If you are working with large carnivores such as wolves you want to be very accurate, you want to be very careful because people react," said Eisenberg.

source

The source has a video news report ["A Possible Wolf Encounter, An Emotional Issue"] with Cristina Eisenberg and others along with some nice wolf footage and howls.  There is a photo featured in the text of the article with a pen next to it.  I don't know what that is supposed to be.  I wish an educational project would be developed along with the placement of the cameras.  the "emotional issue" should not be ignored.

Posted:

update...

You are right, Nakoowolf.

"Tests offer no proof of a wolf pack living in Colorado"

"The samples found on the High Lonesome Ranch north of DeBeque did not test positive for wolf DNA. Some of the samples were found to be of coyote origin. Others were too degraded to amplify the DNA and determine what animal they came from."

click here for article

<< < 1 2
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Paw Print T Shirt - S
Wolf Paw Print T Shirt - S
View details for this Wolf Vigil Childs T Shirt - CXL
Wolf Vigil Childs T Shirt - CXL
View details for this Star Howl Wolf Drop Earrings
Star Howl Wolf Drop Earrings
View details for this Wolf Salt and Pepper Shaker Set
Wolf Salt and Pepper Shaker Set
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter