Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfGoods to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Entire pack of wolves shot after escaping Swedish Zoo

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Entire pack of wolves shot after escaping Swedish Zoo
Entire pack of wolves shot after escaping Swedish Zoo
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

An entire pack of wolves has been liquidated at a Swedish wildlife park after escaping from their sanctuary. The incident occurred just days after a controversial nationwide hunt to cull wolves.

The animals had managed to tear down a fence enclosing their sanctuary and were roaming around freely in Skåne Wildlife Park (Skånes Djurpark) during visiting hours. The public was evacuated, and the entire pack was shot, according to the Swedish news agency TT.

A park spokesman said the situation was extremely dangerous, although he added that the public was not at risk.

article

I read this a couple of times but am not understanding why they felt the right way to deal with it was to kill them all.

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

MadI don't get this.  How long were they missing?  Also, the person who commented on if you can shoot them with a bullet a tranquilizer could have been administered as well.  If they don't have a tranquilizer gun then it's not an option but I sure the heck would have tried everything else in my power before they were murdered.  Is this the same park that had escapees before?  Watching from the sidelines

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

The name is very familiar but a search on WHAP does not bring it up.

From some googling for more info, I found:

"Zoo officials said the first escapes occurred Thursday when two male wolves gnawed through fencing around their enclosure and moved into an adjacent red deer enclosure.

The two were shot Saturday when they managed for a second time to break out from the enclosure."

The reason given:

"A wolf pack is centred around the alpha couple where the female is the most important. The chance of getting the rest of the pack to remain in the enclosure disappeared once she had escaped,"

source

Is that true, Nakoowolf?Watching from the sidelines  If they gnawed through the fence, they should have reinforced it or something?Confused

edit:  12 wolves were killedCryingThumbs Down

Author: wolfy
Total Posts: 1423
Date Joined: 7/3/2009
Posted:

That is very sad,scary and ugly storyCryingI felt awful after reading that,but that will not help the poor wolvesBroken Heart

Author: GermanShepherdmom
Total Posts: 24
Date Joined: 12/14/2009
Posted:

Surely this sanctuary has to have tranquilizer darts on hand.  Sounds like these guys went into full blown panic since people were in the sanctuary.  First of all, the enclosure should have been reinforced after the first escape - that should have been a priority.  It would have been nice if they had built a second fence around the perimeter creating a buffer zone just for this type of incident.  I mean, it's not like this is a small sanctuary and they're hard pressed for funding.  The article stated it's the largest of it's kind and they have 800 animals, 80 different species!  Sounds like poor planning to me and judging by the comments made, the public over there is outraged and rightfully so - maybe it will bring about some much needed change in operational procedures.  Poor wolves - for once, I'd love to hear a good story about our friendsBroken Heart

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolves Sapphire Long Sleeve TShirt-XXXL
Wolves Sapphire Long Sleeve TShirt-XXXL
View details for this Wolf Pack Pullover Hoodie - M
Wolf Pack Pullover Hoodie - M
View details for this Howlidays Wolf Child's Long Sleeve T Shirt CS
Howlidays Wolf Child's Long Sleeve T Shirt CS
View details for this Wolf Howl Oval Necklace
Wolf Howl Oval Necklace
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted
For Assistance Call 662-316-9961