Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our Wolf gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code ShopWolves to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Photos/Movies of endangered wolves @ Brookfield Zoo

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Places to see Wolves >> Photos/Movies of endangered wolves @ Brookfield Zoo
1 2 3 > >>
Photos/Movies of endangered wolves @ Brookfield Zoo
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

Five Mexican Gray Wolves (all male) live at Brookfield Zoo in a two-acre exhibit.  The facility costing $2.5 million was dubbed a "Hilton for wolves" in its debut June 2004 and is part of the USFWS Mexcian Wolf Recovery Species Survival Plan.  The "Regenstein Wolf Woods"  is managed by the Chicago Zoological Society. The wolves are siblings that share the same parents but from two separate litters. Three are 7 years old and two are 6 years old. They were all born at the Columbus Zoo but spent much of their early lives at the Wild Canid Survival and Research Center in Eureka, MO. [I think they arrived as yearlings.]

Their enclosure is described to have a lake but it looked only like a pond to me unless the public cannot see it all.  The viewing areas have low fencing and is divided from the wolves by a moat.  The rest of the enclosure's fencing is electrified.  There is construction being conducted right next to their manufactured habitat for a new bear/bison exhibit that is DEAFINING and it was highly irritating to me.  I can't imagine what it did to the poor wolves.  Their diet is described to be kibble/shankbones/knucklebones.  For the most part the zoo was empty and no mention of wolf awareness week was posted.  However, the zoo was featuring "Boo at the Zoo" and several groups of school children waffed in and out of the exhibit.  I was happy to see that they all seemed very interested in the wolves.

EDIT:  I tried a few different pix as some of the ones in the first post were high resolution and zooomed.

Here are 42 pictures I chose for a slideshow taken on different days.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/labbyluver/?action=view&current=7190ec11.pbw

and 3 short movies (the terrible sound is the construction work)

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/labbyluver/?action=view&current=wolf049.flv 

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/labbyluver/?action=view&current=wolf053.flv 

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/labbyluver/?action=view&current=wolf052.flv

My camera is modest and the weather was windy and rainy so the photos aren't great but the subject matter - LoveLoveLoveLoveLove

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Chris, I'm having trouble viewing this.  I can't see your movies at all.  We are on are old satellite connection because the business connection we had, the actual satellite in the sky, is not working.  Scary, huh?  Anyway, I'm hoping it's on my end and when we get our new business connection back up, I'll be able to see.  I only saw the same 5 photos in your slideshow. Sad  This is wonderful and I wish you would have dropped it on a CD with your contest entry, I think it would have bowled the judges over.  You're so thorough.  I love you.  Love

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: muskyhusky
Total Posts: 7339
Date Joined: 7/29/2004
Posted:

Super Chris, your camera takes good videos..nice pictures too, I haven't been to the Brookfield zoo since I was a kid. Thumbs Up

80.gif picture by muskyhusky
Author: Lexa
Total Posts: 2727
Date Joined: 8/28/2006
Posted:

I too only saw five pictures on the slideshow, but I enjoyed the videos! Thumbs Up I'm surprised how calm the wolves were.

wolflover.gif picture by guzza72

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Chris, I was finally able to see everything, thank you.  They are gorgeous.  I feel sorry for them with that horrible noise.  I'd go crazy.  How long was that construction gonna last? 

Question, you said the exhibit cost $2.4 mil.  It's very pretty but I don't understand what they could have possibly spent that much on from the photos.  Is there something we missed?  I'm thinking we could have done that for $100,000 if we had it! Wink

I love in the one video where you tell the Wolf you love him.  Love  I can't wait until you meet the WHAP pack.

Their diet sounds a bit bland.  I noticed that one Wolf seems to be quite bloated.  I wonder if he's just overweight?  Did you ever see a keeper at the exhibit?

They are amazingly calm with all that's going on.  Certainly not canidates for reintroduction.  They would be much too habituated to humans.Sad

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

1 2 3 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Gray Wolf Locket Keychain
Gray Wolf Locket Keychain
View details for this Black Wolf Head Necklace with beads
Black Wolf Head Necklace with beads
View details for this Tribal Wolf Necklace
Tribal Wolf Necklace
View details for this Wolf Jingle Bell Wreath
Wolf Jingle Bell Wreath
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter