Wolf Gifts
Spend $30 or more in our Wolf gift shop to receive 10% off the purchase price of your items.  Use discount code WolfLover to take advantage of this offer.  A free Wolf Magnet comes with every order.  Howls!

Study Says Wolves Group When Ravens Hover Nearby .....

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Wolf News >> Study Says Wolves Group When Ravens Hover Nearby .....
<< < 1 2 3 > >>
Study Says Wolves Group When Ravens Hover Nearby .....
Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

[QUOTE]

That the wolf pack exists because of ravens is a new idea, supported by the group's "conservative assumption" that wolves can lose up to 44 pounds of food per day to ravens while feeding upon a carcass. They estimate that a pair of wolves loses about 37 percent of a moose carcass to ravens while a pack of six wolves loses just 17 percent. Ravens sneak in to eat or carry away scraps of moose flesh and organs while wolves are feeding or resting away from the carcass, and the more ravens there are (researchers have counted up to 100 near kill sites), the harder it is for wolves to chase them off.

The urge to avoid starvation may drive wolves to kill "approximately twice as many large prey as would be needed in the absence of ravens," the scientists wrote. They also wrote that 85 to 90 percent of carnivore species hunt alone, and the wolf pack might not exist if not for the pesky, bold raven.

[QUOTE]

This is the part that I found interesting.  I don't think I can quite swallow that theory.  I'm still thinking on it though! LOL Confused

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Sharona

Total Posts: 3916
Date Joined: 5/26/2004
Posted:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The urge to avoid starvation may drive wolves to kill "approximately twice as many large prey as would be needed [QUOTE]

This is the part that I found interesting.  I don't think I can quite swallow that theory.  I'm still thinking on it though! LOL Confused

[QUOTE]

It is a proven fact that Wolves "Surplus Kill" that is when the opportunity arises. It is benefical to scavengers such as Ravens, coyotes, fox ETC.

Rare incidents of surplus killing by wolves in Minnesota are reported to leave up to 35 sheep killed and injured in flocks and losses of 50 to 200 birds in turkey flocks (Paul et al 1994). Wildlife are also on the receiving end. An instance of surplus killing by wolves was belatedly witnessed by researchers in Canada's Northwest Territories. They came across 34 new-born caribou scattered over three square kilometres. All had been evidently killed the previous day within minutes of each other by a wolf pack. The wolves had eaten only a few parts from half the calves and not touched the rest (Miller et al 1985)

Sharona

zIv7QOE6xC.gif picture by sharona47
Author: muskyhusky
Total Posts: 7339
Date Joined: 7/29/2004
Posted:

[QUOTE]

They came across 34 new-born caribou scattered over three square kilometres. All had been evidently killed the previous day within minutes of each other by a wolf pack. The wolves had eaten only a few parts from half the calves and not touched the rest (Miller et al 1985)

That's interesting I always thought that they killed just what they needed to eat and ate everything.

Lynne

80.gif picture by muskyhusky
Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Okay, I'll be more specific.  I am having a hard time believing that the "Wolf Pack" was formed to chase off Ravens!!! Confused

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Sharona

Total Posts: 3916
Date Joined: 5/26/2004
Posted:

[QUOTE] Okay, I'll be more specific.  I am having a hard time believing that the "Wolf Pack" was formed to chase off Ravens!!! Confused [QUOTE]

ScaredWink

Which came first The Raven or The Wolf??!!

Hey Nakoo, only The Creator knows for sure!! Mankind can only speculate on such matters!!

Sharona

zIv7QOE6xC.gif picture by sharona47
<< < 1 2 3 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Timber Mates Love Card
Timber Mates Love Card
View details for this Spirit Wolf Jean Jacket JR S
Spirit Wolf Jean Jacket JR S
View details for this Wolf Print 8x10
Wolf Print 8x10
View details for this Love you Wolves Nightshirt
Love you Wolves Nightshirt