Wolf Gifts
Use discount code WolfLove at checkout to save 15% off orders $45 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order.  Hope you have a Happy Valentines Day with your pack!

Question about curving hybrid behavior

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Caring for Wolves >> Question about curving hybrid behavior
Question about curving hybrid behavior
Author: AylaSky
Total Posts: 3
Date Joined: 3/17/2016
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

My wolf hybrid is a low percentage, slightly more than 1/3rd wolf. Hes husky, akita, germanshepard the rest and 3 and 1/2 years old. But the wolf spirit has a tendancy to show its face strongly, especially near full moons. 

Its been a long road of learning how to be alpha. I did years of research before i got him so i had some idea what to expect. 

Around age 3 his hormones where getting the best of me and his experiences with other dogs started becoming very aggressive. He almost killed a Chihuahua. So for the benefit of all beings I got him fixed. 

Hes reverted to a puppy like dogish state and im not sure he fully understands his wolf tendancies anymore. Ive been more lenient on enforcing my alpha status over him because of this and the fact im pregnant and i just cant move that fast anymore. My boyfriend has taken over alpha disciplinary actions when im not able and i enforce him to prove my boyfriend is alpha over him too. 

Its been a little over 6 months since ive fixed him and his behavior is that of poorly trained wolf pup. He demand barks at me and others to get his way. He doesnt listen too well anymore. He whines incessantly to get his way (which i dont give in, but that doesnt stop him from trying), most of the time i dont know what hes whining for. 

There will be a new baby in a few weeks and ive been trying to curve his bad puppy behavior before baby is here as best i can to no avail. 

Any training recommendations? Im pretty sure his bahavior is just a form of challenging my alpha status. I do my best but im not very capable right now. 

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

AylaSky Says:
My wolf hybrid is a low percentage, slightly more than 1/3rd wolf. Hes husky, akita, germanshepard the rest and 3 and 1/2 years old. But the wolf spirit has a tendancy to show its face strongly, especially near full moons. 

Its been a long road of learning how to be alpha. I did years of research before i got him so i had some idea what to expect. 

Around age 3 his hormones where getting the best of me and his experiences with other dogs started becoming very aggressive. He almost killed a Chihuahua. So for the benefit of all beings I got him fixed. 

Hes reverted to a puppy like dogish state and im not sure he fully understands his wolf tendancies anymore. Ive been more lenient on enforcing my alpha status over him because of this and the fact im pregnant and i just cant move that fast anymore. My boyfriend has taken over alpha disciplinary actions when im not able and i enforce him to prove my boyfriend is alpha over him too. 

Its been a little over 6 months since ive fixed him and his behavior is that of poorly trained wolf pup. He demand barks at me and others to get his way. He doesnt listen too well anymore. He whines incessantly to get his way (which i dont give in, but that doesnt stop him from trying), most of the time i dont know what hes whining for. 

There will be a new baby in a few weeks and ive been trying to curve his bad puppy behavior before baby is here as best i can to no avail. 

Any training recommendations? Im pretty sure his bahavior is just a form of challenging my alpha status. I do my best but im not very capable right now. 

Hello AylaSky, congratulations on your pregnancy.Hopeyou are feeling great and all is well. Big Smile

Hmmm, sounds like you are not hearing him so he has to whine or speak louder.  Is the boyfriend someone newer in the picture was it just you and the Wolfdog before?  Maybe he needs a little more attention in the form of walks, playing outside, etc.  He is trying to tell you something.  When you say discipline, how he is disciplined?  Sounds like a dog who is trying to train you to do something he wants or needs.  I'd examine that real closely and see if you two could come to a compromise.  Northern breed dogs and Wolves are very close with just a few pack members.  He may just miss it being  you and him.  Make sure that your boyfriend does fun stuff with him, too.Idea  You don't want him to be demanding and jealous when the baby comes along.  I also hope you realize those two, baby and dog,  should never be alone even for a few seconds. 

I'm here to listen and offer any advice that I can.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

He did just need more attention from either of us. My partner was new to our pack but Maru accepted him into our pack before I even did. Which was really unusual because Maru had never fully accepted anyone so completely before. 

Maru is doing much better now. He had been in the den when his mate had her last litter and knew what was coming. I gave birth in a tipi and he stood guard the whole night. He came in maybe twice to check on me. Such a loyal woof. 

He was very cautious around my daughter when she was still tiny. Even though you advised against it I trained him to watch her when I wasn't right next to her while she slept. I could go out of sight for a moment and he would stand guard. Now I can go like 200feet and he will stay near our tipi with her Playing standing guard. He's come to accept her as a part of the pack to keep watch over. He's very gentle with her and when he doesn't think he can be gentle he will keep his distance. He turns 5 in a month and that had greatly helped him chill and settle more. 

Posted:

I do have another question regarding hybrid behavior. I just got the grandson of maru, he just turned 6 months. He is a higher percentage (maybe 50 % ) but very very beta. His mother (Marus daughter) is very alpha. She doesn't allow any of her pack to do anything in her presence. She's created lots of little betas from all her litters. This new puppy is sociable in the presence of his litter mates but once I took him home and proved I am his new alpha he has been extremely weary of all humans. Dogs he's fine with but he's very skittish of humans other than me and my daughter. 

I've met other hybrids with this temperament. But I've always been able to get the wolf dog to approach me on their terms. Even with advising people on taking non aggressive and welcoming stances that I also do with them the dog will not approach me or the other person(s) but if my daughter approaches he's fine with her.

I want to note He will approach and be friendly with me and listen to me when its just me and my daughter and Maru and if other dogs come by he's fine too, but the moment another human comes close he takes off. When I was introduced to him he was very social with me and other humans but he had a litter mate with him. 

I think in this moment he sees my daughter as a litter mate. I'm working on making a definite clarification that he is not to play with her or eat with her like she's a litter mate. They don't get left alone together. And I don't tolerate any attempts at him trying to be higher in the pack ranking than her. 

My question is how do I get him to be not so skittish around people. Other hybrids I've met like this, their humans just accept it and don't encourage them to socialize with other humans. Is this just how he's going to be? Is it appropriate for me to encourage him to socialize with other humans? And if so, then how do I go about doing it? I even have a bag of jerky in my pocket to encourage interacting with humans but it still won't work. 

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Wolf Walk Navy T Shirt-XL
Wolf Walk Navy T Shirt-XL
View details for this Love You Wolf T Shirt - XL
Love You Wolf T Shirt - XL
View details for this Wolf Necklace with Adjustable Cord
Wolf Necklace with Adjustable Cord
View details for this Copper Wolf figurine
Copper Wolf figurine
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted
For Assistance Call 662-316-9961