Wolf Gifts
Use discount code WolfLove at checkout to save 15% off orders $45 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order.  Hope you have a Happy Valentines Day with your pack!

inappropriate marking!

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> inappropriate marking!
inappropriate marking!
Author: wolfdog
Total Posts: 2202
Date Joined: 4/8/2007
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

I don't recall reading about this subject previously on the WHAP forum. Our husky Shadow is driving us crazy with his marking indoors. He is going to end up an outside dog if we can't figure out how to stop this. I had a urinalysis done just to be sure he doesn't have an infection which he doesn't. I'll try to keep this brief. We found Shadow in fall 2008 the same time our dog Gilbert needed surgery for a torn ACL. Gilbert couldn't do stairs so both dogs were "confined" to the downstairs den and hallway. A couple of years later Gilbert was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. He would "leak" urine & although we had waterproof pads all over the carpet, inevitably he would still get some urine on the carpet. I shampoed that carpet with enzymes & carpet cleaner more times than I could count. Since his urine was so diluted, it really didn't smell too strongly (to us). Since Gilbert's death in August 2012 we have discovered Shadow peeing primarily on the leg of "his" sleeper sofa, although he's done it in other places also. This used to be Gilbert's bed, but he hadn't been able to use it in a couple of years (we turned it around so he couldn't try to climb into it). So far Shadow is only marking downstairs. For example, I was cooking in the kitchen upstairs this evening & Shadow was relaxing upstairs also. I noticed he went downstairs, then came back up, so I went down & saw he had just peed on the corner of the sleeper sofa. I had let him out & saw him pee before he came upstairs, so he can't possibly have "had" to go potty. He seems to be doing this purposefully (the vet agrees from what I've told him). If anyone has advice I would appreciate it! He is making me sooooo mad! Mad

"If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered. They must be outshouted, outfinanced, and out voted. Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes."
~L. David Mech

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

That's interesting Kat.  I wonder if it's because the scent of Gilbert is leaving and Shadow is trying to mark the territory.  Many years ago, at least 15, our first Husky Niko started doing this while Don and I were vacationing in Mexico and my youngest Son was home with him.  I think he felt my Son couldn't handle the job of keeping "the bad guys" out and so Niko intervened.  Luckily it stopped when we came home.  There is usually a reason they start marking.  Do you have lots of wildlife in your yard?  How's he doing now, has it stopped?

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: wolfdog
Total Posts: 2202
Date Joined: 4/8/2007
Posted:

Nakoowolf, thanks for your reply. We have the usual wildlife in our yard...squirrels, chipmunks, birds. In the spring there's always a chance of a juvenile bear making a brief appearance.There is a pasture directly behind us where we hear coyotes occasionally throughout the year. Whoever rents that property shoots them when he can. Sad Shadow has not stopped marking indoors. Actually, he's chosen to be an outdoor dog for the most part. Not sure what prompted that, but he doesn't want to come inside, even to eat. If I do get him in, I don't trust him and won't leave him for any amount of time by himself. He still enjoys walks, play and attention. There was a time when I wouldn't leave him alone outside when I wasn't home, even for a short trip to the grocery store. Unfortunately he won't obey the come command & frankly I get frustrated with his antics. Frustrated 

"If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered. They must be outshouted, outfinanced, and out voted. Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes."
~L. David Mech

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Regal Wolf Necklace
Regal Wolf Necklace
View details for this Undercover Wolf Necklace
Undercover Wolf Necklace
View details for this Wolf Print 8x10
Wolf Print 8x10
View details for this Wolf Vigil Ladies T Shirt - XL
Wolf Vigil Ladies T Shirt - XL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted