Wolf Gifts
Use discount code WorkingWolves at checkout to save 10% off orders $25 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Have a fun, safe Labor Day Weekend!

Temporary alternative to Raw Diet?

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Temporary alternative to Raw Diet?
1 2 > >>
Temporary alternative to Raw Diet?
Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

We switched our epileptic male husky (Connor) over to a raw diet several months ago and have had great success.   Even though he is still on phenobarbital and Zonisamide,  his last seizure was in March and it was mild.   Reason for the post is we will be kenneling Connor this summer and the Kennel (PetSmart) will not feed raw meat.    Anyone have any good alternatives? 

Author: husky_kiss
Total Posts: 575
Date Joined: 3/10/2007
Posted:

If you're looking for a dry food then I would suggest Orijen. I'm not sure if it's available where you are but it's definitely worth looking into. We used to feed it to Maya when she was a puppy and I have friends that swear by it for their sibe.
Hope this helps,
Karla Smile

pawz2-Copy.jpg picture by Husky_Kiss

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

An alternative to raw would be something wet with no grains.  Check out some canned dog food labels.  I can't believe they won't feed him properly for you. Thumbs Down  Dr. Greg's Dog Dish Diet has some suggestions.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: TwoHuskiesOnLongIsland

Total Posts: 20
Date Joined: 1/30/2008
Posted:

Thank you for your suggestions.  Science diet makes a grain free dry food I am going to try.  May also try one of those refrigerated meat rolls they sell to feed as a snack.  

Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Posted:

We don't do the raw diet so I'm no help there.  I just have to chime in here since we just boarded our boys at Petsmart. 

I was NOT happy with them!  We had to pay extra for 'play time' and then found out that consisted of ONE day out in the play area with the other dogs there for daycare.  So our boys would have been in a kennel (at least they were together) from Thursday-Monday with playtime on Saturday.  We ended up cancelling our trip (due to other reasons) and came home Friday.  The boys didn't seem to like the place either.  Huskies need their daily exercise and this place didn't give them ANY!!

That's just my experience.  We've been having a horrible time finding a boarder since we moved to the Seattle area and Petsmart seemed like a good place until we realized the playtime deal.  Camp Bow Wow was our place in Colorado Springs and we LOVED it; so did the boys LOL.  Each franchise is different though, so I hope you have a better experience. 

It's a shame they won't feed your dogs the raw diet.  I hope you find a good alternative. 

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Love You Wolf T Shirt Blue - S
Love You Wolf T Shirt Blue - S
View details for this Peace Wolf Tank Top - L
Peace Wolf Tank Top - L
View details for this Stainless Steel Wolf Post Earrings
Stainless Steel Wolf Post Earrings
View details for this Black Wolf Locket Keychain
Black Wolf Locket Keychain
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter