Wolf Gifts
Use discount code ScaryHowls at checkout to save 10% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Happy Halloween!

Red Paw Fur

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> Red Paw Fur
1 2 > >>
Red Paw Fur
Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Geordi, our gray & white husky, seems to have this reddish fur between his toes; it's real deep in the cracks. It really looks like it's stained with blood, but we've checked his feet/pads and there are no cuts of any kind.  Is this normal?  He's had it for years now, but we lived in CO before moving to WA and just assumed it was the red dirt in CO that stained his feet.  Now I'm a tad worried something is wrong.

Any thoughts?  I can put a pic up tonight when I get home.

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

I'm not real familiar with huskies other than how beautiful they are, so I don't know at all but would like to know.  Please post your picture if possible.  ~~A WHAP bellyrub to Geordi.

Posted:

Hmmm, I can't paste the pic here.  I get an error that says "The message is over 6000 characters. Please shorten message."  I tried to make the pic small, but it didn't work.  Oh well, here's the link:

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/davencw/The%20Dogs/?action=view&current=photo3.jpg

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

Hope it's ok to post the photo in your link so forum members can see.  Look at that pretty thick fur.Smile  Does Geordi lick it a lot? Prophyrin, a protein found in saliva & tears can cause reddish discoloring?  Is there a high mineral content (iron?) in your water source?  Is there any food coloring in his food? Some wheat based diets can cause allergies that itch the skin?  Red yeast or ptyrosporing is an organism that grows on wet fur sometimes from licking leaving a moist environment? Geordi'Loves paw doesn't look injured to me either but I don't know either & I'm very interested in discovering the cause.  Have you asked your vet? 

Posted:

Thanks for posting the pic! 

To answer your questions:

Does Geordi lick it a lot?  He does lick on a hollow bone with a treat stuffed into it; he will go for HOURS.  This causes A LOT of saliva to get all over his front paws, but mostly on the top of his feet.  Also, he has this red on his back paws too.  I don't see him really lick at his back paws much.

Is there a high mineral content (iron?) in your water source? 
No clue, we sort of recently moved to WA, but he had this in CO too.

Is there any food coloring in his food?  Not really.  He has a brown kibble and Purina wet food that is mostly chunks of brown.

Red yeast or ptyrosporing is an organism that grows on wet fur sometimes from licking leaving a moist environment? 
I'm wondering if he may have a "yeast infection" there.  I'm not sure if dogs get that, but I could see it not drying out since it's up in the cracks. 

Have you asked your vet? Since it doesn't seem to bother him at all, we thought we'd wait until the next time we have to go to the vet for something else.  I will need to get some flea/heartworm meds soon, so I can bring him along for them to look at it.

I will definitely let you know what I find out when we do go to the vet; it may be a month or so though.

1 2 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Arctic Wolf in Sleigh ornament
Arctic Wolf in Sleigh ornament
View details for this Lone Wolf Holographic Kit - Mini
Lone Wolf Holographic Kit - Mini
View details for this Tribal Wolf Bracelet
Tribal Wolf Bracelet
View details for this Yin Yang Wolf T Shirt - XL
Yin Yang Wolf T Shirt - XL
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter