Wolf Gifts
Use discount code MamaWolf at checkout to save 15% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order.   

ID: Rare feline seen for first time since 1991

Everything Wolf Forum >> Other Animal Forums >> Places To See Animals >> ID: Rare feline seen for first time since 1991
ID: Rare feline seen for first time since 1991
Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

A Canada lynx was found in the mountains southwest of Salmon this week, exciting Salmon-Challis National Forest wildlife officials, who caught a glimpse of the rare feline for the first time since 1991.

The lynx was first spotted by a recreationist in the area. Fish and Game Wildlife Biologist Beth Waterbury said state officials weren't sure at first that it was a lynx—bobcats are more common, and legal to trap—but headed to the scene to investigate, regardless.

What they found was an approximately 20-pound cat with a paw caught in a legally set bobcat foothold trap.

Waterbury said the animal appeared to be uninjured when it was found, and ran away without a visible limp once released.

"There was no blood, no obvious signs of broken toes," she said. "It's just probably going to be sore for a few days."

Fish and Game biologists gathered hair and scat samples from the cat to help determine gender and origin.

"There is a very remote chance that it could a hybrid lynx that someone would keep as a pet that was released into the wild," she said.

Wildlife officials have found and documented bobcat-lynx hybrids in Wisconsin. Waterbury said the genetic tests would make a definitive determination.

Lynx are listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

Salmon-Challis National Forest spokesman Ken Fuellenbach said that unlike cougars or bears, lynx are not known to be dangerous to humans.

"They are usually quite reclusive," he said. "They are rare even in this area, but where they are, they're hard to spot. I've never heard of any attacks."

Lynx and bobcats are two separate species, though they are closely related.

source includes PHOTO 

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Beautiful Lynx. Love  I was horrified to hear it was caught in a trap intended for a Bobcat.  My goodness why does our wildlife have to suffer so.  For what reason does any animal have to be trapped?  I have nightmares about stuff like this.  My heart truly breaks for our wildlife. Crying

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: wolfy
Total Posts: 1423
Date Joined: 7/3/2009
Posted:

I'm absolutely agree with you NakooBroken Heart,Chris thanks for the link with the photo,it's really beautifulLoveSmile

Author: Sharona

Total Posts: 3916
Date Joined: 5/26/2004
Posted:

I agree! Like I wasn't already struggling with this dayCryingBroken Heart

Sharona

zIv7QOE6xC.gif picture by sharona47
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Night Watch Wolf Beveled Octagon Suncather
Night Watch Wolf Beveled Octagon Suncather
View details for this Owning the Moon Wolf Hoodie-XS
Owning the Moon Wolf Hoodie-XS
View details for this Wild Thing Child's Long Sleeve T Shirt-CL
Wild Thing Child's Long Sleeve T Shirt-CL
View details for this Wolf T-Shirt - S