Wolf Gifts
Use discount code WolfLove at checkout to save 15% off orders $45 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order.  Hope you have a Happy Valentines Day with your pack!

new to the breed

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> new to the breed
1 2 3 4 > >>
new to the breed
Author: Blitznova

Total Posts: 7
Date Joined: 11/7/2011
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

ok where to start, im doin some research into the breed because a husky is my dream dog....
abit about me, im a big guy and ive taken to walking around 4-5 miles a day. my perants have a great daine and i can walk her off the lead(leesh) no problem (recently moved out).

so basically im lookin for some basic tips for newbs that you wish you'd have known when you first got your husky :)

thanks guys :)

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Get a good vacuum.Wink

Sincerely, I love Huskies, they are my favorite breed of dog.  You must pay lots of attention to them when they are young and plan some fun activities or they will become destructive.  Our Huskies love to be walked and walked and walked.

I'd also recommend a raw diet.  Northern breeds have very sensitive tummies when it comes to grains.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Posted:

Ty, dont worry it will get spoilt for attension, ive seen a lot of posts about crate training? Is it really needed, i have never liked the thought of cages animals. Also harness or collar? Raw meat is kinda hard to obtain here at reasonable prices, was goin to do a mix of dry/wet food will that work?

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:
Edited On by Auntie P.

Welcome, Blitznova.  I do not have the pleasure of being a Husky guardian but became a labbyluver because of one special face.  If I had to name one of the most important provisions for a dog and personally endorse it, it would be a crate kennel. For training, safety, travel, retreat...  Here is some reading our member Dakota had posted for our convenience: 

All of these talk about the specifics. 

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html

http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/crate.html

http://www.netpets.org/dogs/reference/training/cratetrain.html

Regarding collar or harness, I feel it is a personal preference.  Depending upon your goals; if you are looking to train her to heel at all times, etc. then you may want to use a training collar. I used a collar and a leash just fine but if you would be sledding, skijoring, or hiking I'd say a harness.  It's up to your preference/training goals and what you and your dog feel most gentle and comfortable. 

Feeding both dry and wet (a process known as topping) is fine and is usually found to be more tasty for some dogs.  Nutrition has become a highly discussed topic.  You can find many posts by using our search box at the top right.  I wanted to mention that the raw diet can consist of the same foods you buy for yourself.  Some have combined raw with kibble but I note NEVER mix raw and kibble together as they digest at different rates forcing the raw to sit longer than natural in the stomach causing stomach problems.  example menu

Enjoy this excitement of planning for a pooch.  I know there is a lot to think about. 

Posted:

thanks again for the advice, tried to reply whille on the train (damn tunnels) gonna have a nice lil read of the links now im home an dry lol, i started out by lookin for breeders n i just couldnt take the waitting, so i decided on doin alot of research before, ive never really liked the idea of cages but ive seen on here its a pritty much a must so im considering it atm, also i tried the search but i didnt know what terms to search for so i decided on doin a post, ill probably have a good search fest later an save someone after me some of the trouble lol thanks agian :)

1 2 3 4 > >>
From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Graceful Howl Wolf Necklace
Graceful Howl Wolf Necklace
View details for this Wolf T Child's - CXS
Wolf T Child's - CXS
View details for this Wolf Print 8x10
Wolf Print 8x10
View details for this Wolf Guide Mailable Art Card-Blue
Wolf Guide Mailable Art Card-Blue
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted