Wolf Gifts
Use discount code ScaryHowls at checkout to save 10% off orders $30 and over.  A free Wolf Magnet is included with every order. Happy Halloween!

That husky stubbornness!!

Everything Wolf Forum >> Siberian Husky Forums >> Caring for the Siberian Husky >> That husky stubbornness!!
That husky stubbornness!!
Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic.
Posted:

Hello everyone!  I haven't been around a lot lately; I've actually moved to the Seattle area and am currently alone with our 2 boys and cat.  My husband is at our house in CO getting it sold; which he did a very good job of.  Closing is at the end of the month, woo hoo!  So I'm all alone with a bulging disc in my back and doing my best to take care of these 2 very active pooches! 

I'm having issues with Geordi.  He won't come inside at night.  I don't know what it is about the back yard, but the 'come' command just doesn't work.  It works at the dog park, but not the back yard.  Last night was the WORST episode.  I was chasing him around the back yard at midnight and then again at 4 am.  He stayed out all night and only came inside this morning because I had the leash to take them to daycare.  He's not food motivated, so treat training doesn't really work.

Now I really don't have a problem with him being outside if that's what he wants, except for the fact that we're in a new rental house that has these huge bushes and vines (with thorns) along the fence.  I can't see the fence and am not sure if there are weaknesses in it.  Geordi discovered that he can get behind the bushes, between them and the fence, and goes back there where I can't see him.  So I'm petrified that he's working loose the fence and could get out. 

Oh wise husky people, please help me!  What do you do when your husky just doesn't feel like following your commands??  I'm going crazy here!  FrustratedFrustratedFrustrated

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Hi Colleen, first I must say that you made me laugh.  Even though I know back pain is not funny,(I see a chiropractor a few times a week and it's made me feel like I won the lottery).   I imagined the rest of your story and that's what made me laugh.  All of my Sibes have pulled similar things at one time or another.  I would say that there is a reason he is doing this.  Is it too warm in the house?  Are there critters around he's worried about coming into his territory?  If the problem is heat, maybe an indoor fan at his sleeping area?  Critters is a tougher one.  Our Niko did this to us when there were opossums around.  We happened to go on vacation at that time and left my youngest Son in charge.  Niko must have felt like he wasn't man enough to do the job, cause he started scent marking every corner of the house inside when we were gone.Scared  It wasn't until he caught that opossum and we were home again that he stopped and came inside the house again at night.  Maybe he is taking the Alpha role cause your husband isn't there.  Ya know the guarding thing.  It is a new place and he may be anxious that something will hurt his pack.  Can you get on the other side of that fence and see if there is a weakness? 

When it comes to Huskies and stubborness, I'm stumped.  The girl that was working for us accidentally let Juno out of the fence and she ran.  The girl was chasing her which just made it worse.  I brought out a cup of  Ice cream (my doggies and Wolves love ice cream in the little cups) and when she saw that she came a running but when she saw the leash, she tried to bolt.  I just did a body dive on her and she actually bit me.  I'm sure I hurt her as she is old and has sore bones.  I did get her though.  The moral of that story is they are darn determined when they want to be and very focused.  I'd try something to distract him and get him near.  Does he have a favorite toy and then once you get him in play awhile?

Could you possibly put something around those bushes, like a temporary fence.  You can get chicken wire or cattle panels? 

I'll think on this and ask the Big Dog, he's usually pretty good with these things and the Huskies.

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Auntie P.
Total Posts: 11361
Date Joined: 7/15/2006
Posted:

I don't have any advice cause I don't have experience with Huskies so they are sure to be wiser than me.  Just wanted to say, Hi, Colleen, and wish you the best. 

Author: Colleen
Total Posts: 212
Date Joined: 4/18/2008
Posted:

Thanks for the insight Nakoo!  Hi Chris! 

Geordi is spending more nights outside and I'm getting better about not stressing out too much about it.  He hasn't been digging or trying to destroy anything in the backyard, so I think he just likes the fresh air.

I've been taking them to a fully fenced park that is more of a long and wide path than a rectangular football field type park we used to go to.  I was scared at first to let them off leash and run wild, but they really do well with staying close(ish) to me and stopping when I call them if they get too far ahead.  They come to me when I call them too!  The end of the path has a gated in area that opens up to Lake Washington.  Miles LOVES going in the water!  Geordi will go in up to where his belly just gets wet, but Miles dives right in there!  It's so much fun!

Mom to Geordi, born 4/30/08 and Miles born 7/29/08

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts: 17094
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Posted:

Life sounds good, Colleen!  Pretty soon you'll all be back together! ClappingDancing

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

From Our Wolf Gift Shop
View details for this Owning the Moon Wolf T Shirt - XL
Owning the Moon Wolf T Shirt - XL
View details for this Wolf Print 5x7
Wolf Print 5x7
View details for this Wolf Pup Magnet - Woha
Wolf Pup Magnet - Woha
View details for this Wolf and Woman Necklace
Wolf and Woman Necklace
Share Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Credit Cards Accepted