Home  
Sign In | View Your CartView Cart | FAQ | Wolf Newsletter

Wolf Gifts In Stock

Watch Animal Planet - Growing Up Wolf!

Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Places to see Wolves >> Watch Animal Planet - Growing Up Wolf!
1   2   Next  Last
Watch Animal Planet - Growing Up Wolf!
Author: Barnloft
Total Posts:560
Date Joined: 5/21/2004
Reply to topic and quote this item. Reply to this topic. Posted:

Just a reminder that Animal Planet will be featuring 6 grey timber wolf pups at the Minnesota Wildlife Center.  Following is the schedule for this week--all times are Eastern!

August 2  8p.m. and 11p.m.

August 3  3a.m.

August 5  9p.m.

August 6 12 a.m. and 4a.m.

Looking forward to seeing the little cuties!SmileBarnloft

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts:16976

Thanks for reminding us Barnloft, Kudos!

Nakoowolf Big Smile

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: Barnloft
Total Posts:560

Wowsers!  The show was absolutely fantastic!  I learned so much and was completely taken with the process Peggy Callahan uses to make things work in the preserve.  The pups, especially Growly Pants and Truck, were adorable.  Will Growly Pants be the new Alpha Female after Roselyn has passed on?  How fascinating to watch Ms. Callahan's German Shepherds be the surrogate moms to the wolf pups, keeping them in line.  Apparently using artificial insemination in a preserve is a new technique, and the news is good as Mariah had 2 pups using a process which used to fail.  I learned so much from this show--didn't realize other dogs would act as surrogate moms or about the artificial insemnation attempts.

It was, however, so sad to watch Mariah as her two pups were taken away for 2 months for the human socialization process.  I understood the need to have the pups bonded to humans as well as wolf, but poor Mariah spent 2 months searching for her babies....such anxiety and upset for her.  I wish there would be a way that Mariah could have been taken for socialization as well as her pups--did you see how thrilled she was to see her two pups again??!!   And wasn't it interesting how Peggy Callahan howled a "reintroduction" howl as the pups and adults were brought together again??!

Then my heart broke again as the Alpha Female, which surprisingly took in all the newly introduced pups, became the "mom".  Mariah was forced by the rule of the pack to snarl at her newly-returned pups and show rejection, as this was her position in the pack.  Fascinating look at nature.  Luckily, as time went by, Roselyn softened a bit, and Mariah was able to reconnect with her young pups.  Also interesting to see how it was learned that Roselyn accepted the reintroduced pups--she regurgiated her food for them.  That was new to me.

Interesting, too, that the pups were fed road kill once their teeth were developed--it seemed to go from formula to road kill.  At the International Wolf Center in Ely, MN, I noticed bits of road kill were introduced with Eukanuba food, then the road kill alone. 

Peggy Callahan seemed so very sure of her methods and way of handling the pups and packs. Even her young daughter was part of the process--will she take over for her mom at some point?  Nakoowolf, I can see you doing the same at Wolf Howl!!  What an excellent documentary--it was a real highlight watching and learning and admiring the heck out of Ms. Callahan and her husband.  Wow, bringing the pups home...having to feed 6 of them  formula, each every 4 hours....amazing.  And they have 26 of their own dogs to care for at home!!  I  love people who make a difference in the world--hats of to them!

For those of you who haven't seen the show, tape it, as it will be shown several more times.  It's not to be missed! 

Would love to hear others' reactions to the show!

SmileBarnloftSmile

Author: Nakoowolf
Total Posts:16976

Barnloft, thanks for that great account.  We don't have Animal Planet, so I'm hoping that I can catch it on Discovery in a few weeks!

Wolf figurines, Wolf t shirt, Wolf pictures

Author: LIREN
Total Posts:1
Date Joined: 8/3/2004

THANX FOR THE REMINDER!!!!!!!!!

LIREN

1   2   Next  Last
Everything Wolf Forum >> Wolf Forums >> Places to see Wolves >> Watch Animal Planet - Growing Up Wolf!

Follow Us On: Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter  Share on Myspace Myspace Subscribe to me on YouTube Youtube                 
Contact Us      Privacy Policy      Wolf Howl Guarantee      Shipping Rates      Payment Methods      Link to EverythingWolf
Site Design by 355 Data Systems LLC - Custom website design
Copyright ©2013 Wolf Howl Animal Preserve, LLC. A for profit, corporation located in Mississippi.

3776 users have contributed to 10971 threads and 75514 posts.

In the past 24 hours:
 0 New Threads
 0 New Posts
 0 New Users

In the past 3 days the thread with the most posts is .

Please welcome our newest member WolfNature.

Forum Rules